No guy wants to have boobs big enough to rival his girlfriend. Man boobs are embarrassing, especially during the summer when guys take off their shirt at the beach, or even when wearing a T-shirt that shows jiggling chest fat.
Too much excess fat covering the chest muscles are one of the main culprits for developing moobs. While losing weight does help reduce the size of man boobs, many men who are in relatively good overall shape can find they have stubborn fat on their chests, while others have larger stomachs and flat chests. Man boobs are different than other types of fat in the body because they can be caused by a hormone imbalance, not solely overeating and a sedentary lifestyle.
Man boobs don’t just come from being overweight. There are really two things that can cause dreaded man boobs – an increase of too much fat and/or enlarged development of breast tissue.
What Causes Man Boobs?
Gynecomastia is the technical term for man boobs, and is a swelling of breast tissue in males. It can be caused by a metabolic disorder or disease, by a lack of testosterone, high estrogen levels or as a side-effect of some medications.
It is common in teenage boys as they go through puberty, but will usually resolve itself within two years. For older men who have had trouble reducing the size of their chest, there are natural ways of doing so.
How Can I Reduce The Size of My Man Boobs?
There are a couple things you can do to reduce the size of your chest tissue, but the way to go about it depends on what is causing your gynecomastia.
First, you should go to your doctor to make sure you do not have an underlying disease or metabolic disorder. If your gynecomastia is caused by side effects of a medication, then also talk to your doctor to see if you can switch medications or if you have another option.
If your gynecomastia is not caused by these two things, but just a naturally occurring issue, then here are some tips to help you reduce the size of your man boobs naturally:
• Don’t take fancy supplements that offer magical shrinking results, a lot of these products are scams. However, you can take some supplements that will naturally help you create more testosterone and prevent your body from making estrogen, a hormone that creates breast tissue.
• Zinc is a good example, and can be found in seafood, nuts, seeds, and poultry, but can also be taken in a supplement called ZMA.
• Eating raw cruciferous vegetables, like broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts gives you fiber that flushes estrogen out of your system, and the chemical diindolylmethane (DIM) that also rids your body of excess estrogen.
• Avoid things that cause your body to produce estrogen, like alcohol, marijuana, anabolic steroids, and tobacco. There are also Xenoestrogens, which is a man-made estrogen that is found in processed plastics, pesticides, growth hormones, and air fresheners. Try to eat organic fruits and vegetables to avoid Xenoestrogens.
• Of course, if a high fat level across your chest is the main cause of your man boobs, this can be tackled quite easily by eating healthy and exercising to lose weight.
Chest exercises don’t help with gynecomastia because it is only making your chest underneath the breast tissue more muscular, but not fixing the hormonal problem. However, if your man boobs are caused by fat then chest exercises such as bench pressing will be beneficial because the extra chest muscle growth will aid on fat burning and will help to develop strong muscular looking pectorals.
While diet and exercise alone could get rid of stubborn man boobs caused by fat, a different approach may be necessary to remove gynecomastia (breast tissue).
A healthy lifestyle, which includes avoiding pesticides, steroids, and drugs will help your body reduce the amount of estrogen, which causes man boobs.
Likewise, eating healthy raw vegetables like broccoli, and foods with zinc or supplementing with ZMA may help you on your way to getting a flat manly chest!
Please check with your doctor to make sure there are no serious underlying health problems that could be causing your gynecomastia. In sever cases surgical removal of the glandular breast tissue is necessary.